Raksha Mantri’s Meeting on Offset Management
Hon’ble Raksha Mantri, Shri Nirmala Sitharaman chaired a meeting on 18 December 2017 to review the offset management guidelines. Recommendations based on the meeting held at SIDM on 01 Dec 2017, with both, Indian offset partners and foreign OEM were submitted by Lt Gen Subrata Saha, PVSM, UYM, YSM, VSM** (Retd), Director General, SIDM & Principal Adviser, CII to the minister. Several forward-looking and implementation-catalyzing improvements to the process are under consideration.
Some of the key issues raised by SIDM and discussed during the meeting were:
- Online submission of claims supported by an end-to-end electronic system for management of offsets.
- The possibility of outsourcing offset claim verification.
- Time-bound verification of pending offset verification claims.
- The possibility of offsets discharge against supply of machine.
- Review of the cap on the discharge of offsets through services.
- Setting up trial and testing facilities through offsets was proposed.
- Possibility of permitting Chairs of Excellence in academic institutions subject to maximum of 5 percent of offset value.
- Institutionalizing the Defence Offsets Management Wing within the MoD